Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Elbow Greece

I am home now on U.S. soil jumping back into life here - it is weird having your life span between two different continents, having one foot in, and one foot out. I mean, who doesn't love the hokey pokey?

Aside from this intricate dance that I am maneuvering, there are some things that have remained the same from my life here and my future life I had an opportunity to 'taste' in Belgium:

1) Kids are kids. Cultural differences aside, every kid wants to have fun. Every kid wants to live a life of adventure. Every kid wants a true friend. Every kid deserves the chance to know their Creator.

2) Jesus doesn't change. While I sometimes felt lost in translation, while my lungs were trying to adjust to the European air, while the food (and chocolate and beer) were different, nothing rooted my feet more than my relationship with Jesus. He and His word are a constant through e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g.

3) Working alongside kids is FUN! I had the privilege to serve alongside kids in Greece, digging holes, scraping graffiti off walls, laying concrete, painting and building. No less than five days being back in the States I had another privilege to wash cars alongside kids here in Southbury. I tell you this not because of my greatness (in fact my painting of a teddy bear in Greece was so bad, kids had to re-do it. I am still learning my gifts... :) I tell you this because nothing humbles me or opens up my heart more than to see kids working hard because of who God is.

It is a blessed adventure, that requires just a little bit of elbow grease, continual surrender and a transatlantic dance of hokey pokey. But man, what a great tune to dance to.

 In Greece! Naomi and I, and the sad bear :)
 In Greece! Eduardo, Kevin and Jessica working away!
 In Southbury! Rebecca and I, working at the car wash
In Southbury! A little car wash YMCA dancing

No comments:

Post a Comment